If you want to graduate practice-ready, there’s no place better than OCU Law. Over 85 externship opportunities are available within walking distance from campus. Externships let students receive academic credit while working under the guidance of supervising lawyers from the bar and judiciary. They’ll help you gain practical experience alongside a network of professional connections. Browse our externship options to find the perfect opportunity for you.
Externship Program Info (Requirements, FAQs)
Prepare for your Externship:
- Each student should work to secure an externship placement. A list of externship placement sites that have agreed to accept students is above. Please review the information on each externship placement site carefully and confirm you meet the requirements.
- Contact Law Career Services for a résumé review and interview skills session.
- Contact the person listed at your preferred externship placement site to begin the process.
- If you have another externship placement site in mind, please contact the Director of Externships as soon as possible to discuss the approval process. Contact: Michael Mitchelson or (405) 208-5182.
- Once you secure your externship placement, please email Michael Mitchelson with that information.
- Enroll in your preferred Externship Course.
- Contact Law Career Services (LCS) to take an interview skills session.
- Once step 2 is confirmed by LCS, you will receive a list of contacts for the placement sites. Contact the person listed at your preferred placement site to secure your placements.
- If you have another site in mind, please contact your course instructor as soon as possible.
- Once you secure your placement, please notify your course instructor.
Is the externship offered every semester?
|Course Name||Fall Semester||Spring Semester||Summer Semester|
*These classes will meet together until further notice.
When is a student eligible to take an externship course?
Students must complete the “required” curriculum before enrolling in an externship program.
What are the prerequisites for externship courses?
Prerequisites are “placement site” specific. Please see the course syllabus and review the requirements for each placement site.
Does the professor assign students to a placement site?
No. Students select a placement site.
Can I do more than one externship?
Yes. Students may earn a total of 9 credit hours in externship programs. See “Limitations on Credit for Certain Categories of Courses” in the online Academic Handbook. However, you can only do one externship per semester.
Do I need a Legal Intern’s License for the externship program?
No, but some placement sites strongly recommend a Legal Intern’s License. Click here for more on the Licensed Legal Intern Program.
Can I get paid while doing an externship?
No. This would violate ABA rules. See Standards and Rules Procedure for Approval of Law Schools, Interpretation 305-2.
Can I extern at a private law firm?
No. That is not approved by the faculty.
Can I add a placement site that is not included on the approved site list?
Only with the approval of the instructor and only as long as it is consistent with program guidelines.