Frequently Asked Questions about Class of 2020 OCU Law Commencement
When will Oklahoma City University School of Law Commencement take place?
Class of 2020
9 a.m., Sunday, May 9, 2021
Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark
2 S. Mickey Mantle Dr, Oklahoma City, OK 73104-2433
Will the ceremony be live-streamed?
Yes! We are happy to provide this live stream service for our guests who are unable to attend in person. Livestream will be done through Zoom Webinar: https://okcu.zoom.us/j/98387832053
What should degree candidates and guests wear?
Only candidates with academic regalia will be allowed to participate in the ceremony.
The Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark is an outdoor facility. Graduates and guests should plan for weather conditions and walking distances. Proper footwear for an outdoor activity is encouraged.
How will I receive my cords, stoles and/or medallions?
Similar to rental regalia, the OCU School of Law is covering the cost of purchasing cords, stoles and medallions for the Class of 2020. We are ordering them based upon the information provided by graduates at Countdown to Commencement. Cords, stoles and medallions will be individually packaged for each graduate. Each graduate will receive their package when they check-in on March 9th.
Do graduates need to register for the ceremony?
Yes, registration is required. The deadline for registration was April 9, 2021.
Are tickets required for guests?
Yes, tickets will be needed to enter the ballpark. You will receive the exact number of tickets you requested when you completed the Commencement survey. Electronic tickets will be sent to the designated cell phones of the members of Class of 2020.
Is there a charge for tickets?
No, the ceremony is free to participants and guests.
What time should I arrive at the Ballpark?
Graduates should arrive at 8 a.m. The ceremony will begin at 9 a.m.
Where should I park?
Parking for participants and guests will be in the Joe Carter Parking, located to the east of the ballpark. Visit this webpage for more information and directions.
If there is no more parking available in the Joe Carter Parking Lots, alternate parking should be available at Bass Pro just west of the Joe Carter Lot.
Guests will enter at the Warren Spahn Entrance, located across the street from the parking lot. They will go through Ballpark Security at that time. Graduates will enter through the Mickey Mantle Entrance, located on the northwest side of the Ballpark off of Mickey Mantle Drive, and be seated in sections 104 & 103. Visit this webpage for a map of the facility.
Faculty may enter through either entrance.
What are the plans for Covid protocols?
Face masks must be worn by grads and guests at all times. Grads are able to take off their face masks as they walk across the stage, receive their scroll/photo with the Dean, and while they take their photo at first base with their scroll.
Graduates and guests are encouraged to look over the Ballpark’s safety guidelines here.
The ballpark asks candidates and guests to keep a minimum of six feet away from others. Family group seating will be marked by the ballpark.
What are the security requirements for entry into the ballpark?
The Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark follows MLB guidelines for safety. Visit their Rules and Regulations page for a complete list of items allowed into the ballpark.
No bottles, cans, food, or beverage containers may be brought into the ballpark with the exception of clear, empty water bottles and items necessary for health reasons and for babies.
Bags brought into Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark must meet the following style and size recommendations:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and do not exceed 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches. An approved logo no larger than 4 inches by 4 inches may be displayed on one side of a permissible clear bag.
- One-gallon clear, plastic resealable bag (Ziploc bag or similar)
- Small clutch bags, which cannot exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches in size, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium in addition to one of the clear plastic bags.
- Exceptions to this policy will be made for all medically necessary items after proper inspection.
Graduates and guests are encouraged to look over the Ballpark’s Rules & Regulations here.
What happens during the ceremony?
- Gates will open at 8:00 a.m. Please do not arrive any later than 8:30 a.m.
- Enter through the Mickey Mantle Gates located on the West side of the facility.
Please have your tickets ready for scanning before you enter.
- Face masks must be worn by graduates, apart from walking across the stage and taking photos with Candid Colors.
- You must have all regalia (gown, cap, tassel, and hood) to participate. You need to put it on before you arrive to the Ballpark, where you will check in. Please plan to bring minimal items. You will be walking from your original seats to other seats and have to carry your belongings with you.
- The Ballpark also has a clear bag policy. Please see that information listed here.
- You will check in, don your regalia, pick up your name pronunciation card, any cords you are receiving, and also take a photo for Candid Colors.
- All graduates then need to go to their assigned seats.
- The only processional will be the platform members.
- Students will be asked to stand while the bagpipers are playing.
- When it is time for hooding, the ballpark employees will dismiss your rows from the front to the back. Dean Gunter will lead the line from third base to second base where the stage will be. Please remember to take all personal items with you as you will not be returning to this section.
- Please keep some distance as you are walking between yourself and the person in front of you. At the top of the stairs, you will hand your name pronunciation card to the announcer (Dean Gunter).
- At this time, you can remove your mask if you feel comfortable.
- Once your full name is read, you will hand your hood to the faculty hooder you wish to place your hood on, and they will hood you (either Profs. Couch or Blitz). If you do not wish to be hooded, please have your hood on when you arrive to the Ballpark. Once your full name is read, instead of stopping at the faculty hooders, you will walk directly to Dean Roth.
- Once hooded or past the faculty hooders, you will be handed a scroll from Dean Roth and pause for a photo with him.
Please note, the Dean will not be wearing his mask if you are not wearing yours.
- After your photo with Dean Roth, you will walk down the stairs on the other side of the stage and then to first base. At first base, Candid Colors will be taking another photo of you with your scroll.
- After your photo is taken, you will continue walking from first base to the stadium where you will find your new seat.
*All photos, except the photo taken with Dean Roth on stage, will be accessible for you to view online for free, so please be sure to register with Candid Colors as soon as possible.*
- At the end of the ceremony, all graduates will stand up from their seats and be dismissed by row from the front to the back and recess up the stairs.
- On your way out, don’t forget a boxed breakfast or a cup of coffee courtesy of the Alumni Association! After you receive your box at the Coop Beer Garden, please exit the ballpark and go outside.
- There will be a ticket inside of your bag of cords you will need to receive your box.
Your family and friends will be dismissed after you have exited the facility.
Breakfast boxes/coffee at the Coop Beer Garden
Graduates will be dismissed first to receive a boxed lunch and a coffee provided by the OCU Law Alumni Association upon exiting the facility.
For Guests of Graduates:
- Parking is available in the Joe Carter Lot. See a map of the facility here.
- All guests MUST enter through the Warren Spahn Gates located on the Southeast side of the building. The entry is wheelchair accessible.
- Guests can start arriving at 8:00 a.m.
- Guests should have their tickets open on their phone and ready to scan so we can get all guests into the facility as quickly as possible.
- Clear bags are required by the Ballpark. Please see specifics here.
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating: Accommodated seating is available all around the concourse and is available for those who need it. If a family member or friend needs handicapped seating, they may ask one member of your party to sit with them.
- General Seating: All seating is assigned. There will be ushers around the stadium helping you get to your seat.
Health and Safety
- Masks are required at all times per MLB Guidelines.
- See a full list of the Ballparks health and safety procedures here.
Concessions will not be open at any time during this event.