What is the Program?
This is an intensive four-week program of American law courses and experiences. It is NOT a “summer camp” for middle school students. Rather, it is a serious academic program offered by professors of Oklahoma City University school of law on the campus of Oklahoma City University in each summer. It is specifically designed for Chinese law students and Chinese lawyers who are interested in learning about America’s legal system, legal culture, legal education and legal work methods. It also includes cultural experiences that expose participants to the American way of life.
This Certificate in American Law program started in 2006. So far, more than 130 Chinese students and lawyers have participated in this program, many of whom have chosen to pursue an American LL.M. or J.D. degree after completing the Certificate Program and their degree from their home university in China.
What will you learn in this Program?
- The constitutional structure of the American legal system
- The many sources of legal authority in America
- The relationship between the federal government and state governments in America
- How courts function in America
- How lawyers work and are regulated in America
- How to conduct legal research and write a legal memorandum using American legal materials
- How to participate in American law school courses
- How to conduct a criminal trial in the American legal system.
Even though the program lasts only four weeks, motivated, mature students gain a basic understanding of all of these subjects and can understand how the American legal system functions and what lawyers do within that system, and get basic training of American legal research and writing.
For questions or to apply, please email Dean Emeritus Larry Hellman.