Each year, the Law School honors its students with various awards for accomplishment in moot court competitions, academic achievement, leadership, and various types of service to the school, the legal profession, or the local community.
The following is a list of some of the awards available to students at Oklahoma City University School of Law. Some of the cash awards are subject to conditions set out in agreements with donors.
ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE AWARDS
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards. Certificates presented by CALI (Computer Assisted Legal Instruction) to students with the highest grades in designated courses.
- Charles Nesbitt Energy Award. A cash award, funded by an endowment honoring Oklahoma City attorney Charles Nesbitt, to the student who writes the best paper on energy law.
- Ernest L. Wilkinson Awards. Awards presented for excellence in the American Indian Law and excellence in a Native American Legal Externship, sponsored by Matthew Morris, an OCU law alumnus, in honor of Ernest L. Wilkinson, an attorney who sought justice for American Indians.
- Judge Tom Brett Criminal Law Award. A plaque, presented on behalf of the late Judge Tom Brett, of the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals, to the outstanding student in the study of criminal law.
- Law Review Outstanding Note and Outstanding Comment Awards. Awards for the best law review Note and law review Comment, as determined by the Law Review Board of Editors.
- Oklahoma Association of Municipal Attorneys Prize. A cash award, funded by an endowment created by the OAMA, to the student who writes the best paper on a topic in state and local government law.
- OBA Business Section Award. A cash award, given by the Oklahoma Bar Association Business Section, to the outstanding student in the study of corporate law.
- Oklahoma City Mineral Lawyers Society Award. A cash award, given by the Oklahoma City Mineral Lawyers Society, to the outstanding student in the study of oil and gas law. The student selected must present a short paper on a relevant oil and gas topic to the society.
- Oklahoma City Real Property Lawyers Association Award. A cash award, given by the Oklahoma City Real Property Lawyers Association, to the outstanding student in the study of property-related courses.
- T. Hurley Jordan Award. A cash award, presented on behalf of the late T. Hurley Jordan, Oklahoma County public defender, to the outstanding student in the study of criminal procedure.
- West Group Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Awards. Plaques presented to student in each class having the highest grade point average.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Awards. Award given by the Burbridge Foundation for excellence in Mediation.
- Judge Dwain Box Memorial Award. A book award given by the family of the late Judge Dwain Box to the student with the best performance in appellate advocacy.
- The Order of Barristers. Memberships in the Order of the Barristers are awarded to students who have excelled in interscholastic moot court competitions.
- Intramural Moot Court Competition Awards. Awards given to the top participants in the OCU School of Law intramural moot court competition.
- McAfee & Taft Outstanding Trial Court Advocate Award. Cash award to a third-year law student selected as the outstanding trial advocate.
- Dean’s Service Award. An award presented by the Dean for outstanding service to the law school.
- Most Likely to Succeed Award. An award given by the faculty to the graduating student who is most likely to succeed in the practice of law.
- OBA Outstanding Graduate Award. An award presented by the Oklahoma Bar Association to the outstanding graduate, as selected by the faculty.
- Outstanding Academic Performance Award. An award given to the graduating student with the highest cumulative grade point average.
- Outstanding Graduate Award. An award given by the faculty to the outstanding graduate, based on academic performance, scholarship, and service.
- Outstanding Woman Law Graduate Award. An award given by the National Association of Women Lawyers to the outstanding woman law graduate, as selected by the faculty.
PUBLIC INTEREST AWARDS
- Dean’s Public Interest Summer Fellowships. Award to deserving law students interested in pursuing public interest careers.
- Multicultural Law Students Alliance Award. Recognition for commitment to leadership and diversity in the legal community.
- Pro Bono Students’ Association Award. Award to its Member of the Year for outstanding contributions.
- Volunteer Legal Center Award. Award for outstanding service to the Volunteer Legal Center.
STUDENT ORGANIZATION AWARDS
- American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America) Awards. Awards given to outstanding members for their contributions to ATLA.
- SBA Recognition Awards. Awards given by the Student Bar Association to its members for outstanding service.
- Black Law Students Association Award. Awards given for excellence, service, and leadership.
- Christian Legal Society Award. Given for meritorious Christian service. Law Review Service Awards. Awards for outstanding service to the Law Review and its Editor-in-Chief.
- Native American Law Students Association Award. Awards given for outstanding service.
- Berry-Opala Phi Delta Phi Award. An award, sponsored by Justice William Berry (retired) and Justice Marian Opala, of the Oklahoma Supreme Court, to a Phi Delta Phi member with exemplary academic achievement.
- Phi Alpha Delta Service Awards. Awards given by Phi Alpha Delta to its outstanding member, outstanding new initiate and for outstanding leadership, dedication and commitment.
- Phi Delta Phi Awards. Awards given by Phi Delta Phi to its members for outstanding service, the outstanding graduate, excellence in professionalism and to the member of the Year.
- Student Ambassadors Awards. Recognition of graduating students who have tirelessly served as Student Ambassadors.