Welcome and welcome back! The Law Library is excited to introduce a revamped Award of Accomplishment in Legal Research Skills (Award) this year, with changes to make earning the Award more accommodating to students’ busy schedules. Specific details about program requirements and opportunities to earn points can be found on the Award of Accomplishment in Legal Research Skills website.
The purpose of the Award program is “to provide law students with additional training in legal research skills and to supplement the current research instruction provided as part of the Legal Research and Writing courses. Some Award classes are offered as refreshers on basic research skills, but others focus on specialized areas of law. After working as summer associates, many students recognize the need for additional instruction in a number of areas covered in the Award classes, including using print resources, specific practice area resources, and low cost alternatives to the subscription databases.” (http://law.okcu.edu/?page_id=14030)
In brief, the changes to the Award program include:
- Reducing the total points needed to earn the Award from 20 to 12;
- Students earn one (1) point for attending an Award class;
- Students earn one (1) additional point for submission of an optional exercise with at least eighty percent (80%) correct after an Award class;
- All Award classes are now 50 minutes long;
- Students will have online opportunities to accrue points, including approved CALI lessons and screencasts by our own reference librarians; and,
- Developing a Legal Research Strategy is now a required class, but Legal Research Basics (formerly Legal Information Literacy) no longer is required.
As always, students have the entire time they are in law school to earn the Award, and points carry over each semester until graduation. The schedule of Award classes for Fall 2014 is below, and there are many opportunities to earn points throughout the year in addition to the Award classes (see website for details). We hope to see many of you taking advantage of these offerings to enhance your legal research skills.
Fall 2014 Award Classes
|8/26 (Tues.)||1-1:50 pm||Developing a Legal Research Strategy|
|9/7 (Sun.)||3-3:50 pm||Developing a Legal Research Strategy|
|9/9 (Tues.)||1-1:50 pm||Fact-finding on the Internet|
|9/23 (Tues.)||1-1:50 pm||Finding Case Law: Indexes, Headnotes, and Citators|
|9/24 (Wed.)||5-5:50 pm||Finding Case Law: Indexes, Headnotes, and Citators|
|10/6 (Mon.)||1-1:50 pm||Microsoft Word Formatting Tips for PC|
|10/7 (Tues.)||5-5:50 pm||Microsoft Word Formatting Tips for PC|
|10/8 (Wed.)||1-1:50 pm||Microsoft Word Formatting Tips for Mac|
|10/9 (Thurs.)||5-5:50 pm||Microsoft Word Formatting Tips for Mac|
|10/21 (Tues.)||1-1:50 pm||Oklahoma Supreme Court Network (OSCN): Advanced Features|
|10/26 (Sun.)||3-3:50 pm||Advanced Statutory Research: Multistate Resources|
|10/28 (Tues.)||1-1:50 pm||Advanced Statutory Research: Multistate Resources|
Please contact Sabrina Davis if you have any questions.