History As the first law school in the state, Oklahoma City University School of Law was established amidst the excitement and optimism, perseverance and entrepreneurialism, of statehood. In the fall of 1907, the first classes were held at Epworth University, a Methodist institution of higher education in Oklahoma City. The dean of Epworth School of Law, Judge C.B. Ames, had two goals in those very early years: keep students from leaving the state to attend law school and produce great lawyers. He was going to achieve the latter by upping the coursework requirement from the standard two years to three. In August 1907, The Daily Oklahoman reported that “the object for which the law department at Epworth University is founded is to afford law students facilities for obtaining a legal education which will thoroughly equip them for the practice of law in any of the states of the union and more particularly in Oklahoma. The course will be comprehensive and of a standard equal to that of the foremost law schools in the United States.” Faculty were selected from the Oklahoma Bar and special lecturers where identified, including practicing legal scholars such as Judge John H. Burford, the last chief justice of the Oklahoma territorial supreme court. The newspaper noted that the 15 students enrolled when Epworth began its first law classes in 1907 made it the largest inaugural class for any law school in the country. By its third year, Epworth Law was growing – more faculty, more students, and an increasing number of volumes in the library. New Chapter In 1909, the state university in Norman opened a law school. In a show of solidarity, Epworth University agreed to close its law school and consolidate with the new law school at the University of Oklahoma. Epworth donated its library to the new law school and OU granted diplomas to the seven 1910 Epworth Law graduates. One year later, Epworth closed its doors and reopened in Guthrie, Oklahoma with a new name – Oklahoma Methodist University. Epworth’s chancellor, a number of its faculty, and many of its furnishings made the move to Guthrie, as well. The first classes were held at the new university in September 1911. In 1919, trustees decided to close the Guthrie location and make a fresh start back in Oklahoma City with a new institution called Oklahoma City College. The college was built where Oklahoma City University stands today. The final transition came in 1924 when Oklahoma City College became Oklahoma City University. Legal Education Renaissance For many years, there was an underlying current of support for a law school in the capital city. As a result, during the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s, a number of proprietary law schools cropped up offering a legal education at night. One was Oklahoma City College of Law. Beginning in the 1940’s, Oklahoma City University President Dr. C.Q. Smith began discussing the purchase of Oklahoma City College of Law with its president Roger Stephens. The deal took more than a decade to finalize because Dr. Smith was waiting until the university received accreditation from the North Central Association. When the deal was finally complete, classes began September 12, 1952, with seven instructors, including longtime professor Wayne Quinlan for whom the Quinlan Lecture is named. Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice Marian P. Opala was among the law school’s first graduates in 1953. At that time, the law school was located in the YMCA building downtown. Classes were held in the evening allowing students to work full-time and go to law school. In 1956, Oklahoma City University sold the YMCA building to Kerr McGee and the law school moved back to campus. The Future It was in 1907 that C.B. Ames had the desire to start a law school in Oklahoma City. He strove to establish a school accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and one that was also a member of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS), one that provided a rigorous course of education and prepared lawyers for the practice of law. Over the course of a century that desire has become a reality. ABA accreditation came in 1960 and membership in AALS in 2003. With individualized instruction, prestigious guest lecturers, and the multitude of opportunities to get practical experience under the guidance of professionals, Oklahoma City University School of Law continues to exceed that vision.